I have tried a lot of chicken pasta recipes because they are such a fun and complete family meal, but this creamy chicken mushroom pasta will always be my all time favorite. So just give it a try and you’ll know why.
Ingredients for Chicken Mushroom Pasta
- Butter: 3 tablespoons
- All-purpose flour: 3 tablespoons
- Whole milk: 1 liter
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (or as per your taste)
- Black Pepper: half teaspoon
- Garlic Powder: half teaspoon
- Cheddar Cheese (grated): half cup, optional
- Oregano (dried and crushed): a pinch, optional
- Basil (dried and crushed): a pinch, optional
- Heavy cream: 100 ml
Chicken and Mushroom Filling
- Cooking Oil: 3 tablespoons
- Onion (finely chopped): 1 large
- Garlic (fresh crushed): 1 teaspoon
- Boneless chicken: 1 lb. approx.
- Paprika powder: 2 teaspoons
- Black pepper: 1 teaspoon
- Red chili flakes: half teaspoon
- Salt: 1 and a 1/2 teaspoon
- Tomato (chopped): 3 medium-sized
- Mushrooms (chopped): half cup
- Elbow macaroni: 16 oz. pack
- Cheddar Cheese (grated): 1 cup
- Mozzarella Cheese (grated): half cup
- Green bell pepper: 1 medium sized
- Onion: 1 small
- Black Olives (sliced): a handful
1. In a sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat and add all-purpose flour.
2. Mix thoroughly until the mixture turns golden and fragrant. Then switch off the flame.
3. Gradually start adding milk and keep stirring. After adding about half cup, it will take on a thick, custard-like consistency.
4. Here at this point, add salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Again mix well.
5. Now add the remaining milk and keep stirring.
6. Put on medium flame again and let it boil while stirring continuously.
7. Finally, add grated cheddar cheese, oregano, basil and heavy cream.
8. Mix well and switch off the flame. Now our white sauce is ready, so just set it aside for later.
- Pro Tip: Use a nonstick saucepan for making white sauce so that the butter and flour mixture doesn’t stick to the pan.
Chicken and Mushroom Filling
1. Now for the chicken and mushroom filling, cut the boneless chicken into small cubes. Below I’ve shown the size that I prefer:
2. In a cooking pot (I use a stainless steel one by T-fal), heat the oil and add chopped onions. Fry until translucent.
3. Add fresh crushed garlic, and sauté for a minute.
4. Then add chicken and cook for 5 minutes over medium to high heat.
5. Now add paprika powder, black pepper, red chili flakes, and salt. Mix well.
6. Finally, add tomatoes and mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes over high heat and then add half cup water. Cover and let it cook on low heat for about 10 minutes, or until chicken is tender. The chicken and mushroom filling is now ready.
1. Boil macaroni of your choice. I have used elbow macaroni for now. Add the boiled macaroni to the chicken mixture and mix well.
- Bonus Ingredient: For the potato lovers, fried or boiled potato chunks can make a great addition to this dish.
2. Get the vegetables sliced and ready. I have used green bell pepper, onions and black olives for topping. It’s up to you to choose veggies of your choice.
3. Grease the baking dish with 1 teaspoon oil and add the chicken and mushroom mixture. Then pour the white sauce over it evenly and top it with bell pepper, onions and olives.
4. Finally, evenly spread grated cheddar and mozzarella on top and bake in a preheated oven on 180 C for 15 minutes or until the cheese bubbles. Carefully take out and sprinkle some oregano on top. Yummy chicken mushroom pasta is ready to be served.
So try this amazing chicken pasta recipe now and see for yourself how you and your family fall in love with it. You can have it as a complete dinner meal, or enjoy it with sides like French Fries or a quick salad. Also, if you don’t want to or cannot bake this pasta in a traditional oven due to some reason, it can be perfectly baked in a microwave convection oven too.
Finally, thank you in advance for trying out my recipe. Let me know in the comments how your baked pasta turned out and how many compliments came pouring in. Also, don’t forget to share it with your friends and family. Bon Appetit!
You may also like: